[CentOS-devel] [Config Management SIG] delivering Ansible

Michael Scherer

mscherer at redhat.com
Tue Nov 15 12:04:14 UTC 2016

Le lundi 14 novembre 2016 à 14:55 +0100, François Cami a écrit :
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Michael Scherer <mscherer at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> The answer is quite probably "no".
> >
> > I brought that issue with the other developers of Ansible.
> > There is plan to remove it from epel (1.9), and I suspect the last
> > update will be to fix CVE-2016-8628, then it will likely be declared
> > officially EOL.

> >> Yes.
> >> There will be a note in the wiki making that clear.
> >> Tbh I have no other choice as ceph upstream repeatedly told me the
> >> ceph-ansible playbook is only validated against ansible-1.9 for now.
> >
> > Porting the software to 2.X is a option (albeit I guess not the favored
> > one)
> >
> > While there isn't much serious security issue with Ansible[1], relying
> > on obsoletes version is bad. If some playbooks can't be ported to 2.X or
> > if there is no will or timeline to that to happen, it is effectively not
> > maintained to my eyes.
>
> See below :)
>
> To clarify: while I plan to make 1.9 available, it is best thought as
> a historical effort like http://vault.centos.org/ and our users will
> be encouraged to use the future ansible2 repository.
>
> >> One of the goals of the ansible effort is to test that particular
> >> playbook against different ansible versions and fix the bugs in the
> >> playbook.
> >> I'd rather start from a known-working environment than from a broken
> >> one to do so.
> >
> > I think we need to have a specific page that outline the timeline of
> > support, but that would be much easier if we knew the upstream policy,
> > which I plan to ask to be clarified upstream.
>
> Awesome, thank you!

So after asking and not getting satisfying answer, and after searching
again if I didn't miss something, I opened:
https://github.com/ansible/community/issues/143

Even if the situation with ansible-ceph is less dire than what I
understood (sorry if I did sounded too harsh), the problem will repeat
itself for others versions and others projects, so the document is
really needed.

I really wonder if one solution couldn't also to deliver each installer
as a container, bundling a specific version of ansible for that
installer to be run.
--
Michael Scherer