[CentOS-devel] [RFC] Bootstrapping a new arch

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 13 15:52:40 UTC 2016

Hi,

There was various discussions about enabling aarch64 architecture for
Cloud SIG OpenStack repositories.
And likely others are coming, so I'd like to confirm with a wider
audience about the proper course of action.
So we can document it and share that experience with other SIGs.

Arrfab suggested the following:
* scratch builds with archoverride of existing arch-dependent builds
* ask CBS admin to merge the task with existing builds using mergeScratch.

I find this process simple and efficient, but I'm worried about how it scales.
In my case, I have about 250 binary packages (including the Erlang
stack etc.) with many interdependencies, so
it can rapidly get bothersome for CBS admins.

If we can find a way to automate the mergeScratch operations or
temporarily grant that permission to
SIGs during bootstrapping phase, I have pretty much no objections for
that course.

---

As for daily operations, if you can't block on alternate arch build
failures, I was recommended to just use %excludearch
and move forward. Which gives us the flexibility to move forward and
give more time to fix things at our pace.

So what do you think? Any other suggestions?

Regards,
H.