[CentOS-devel] ATTN: OCaml 4.03 in Rawhide, could affect POWER, s/390, RHEL 7.4, CentOS 7.4

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Oct 18 16:56:00 UTC 2016

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 09:49:30AM -0500, Jim Perrin wrote:

> On 10/18/2016 08:04 AM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>
> > (3) The real reason I'm doing this now is because partners have asked
> > us to update the OCaml compiler in RHEL 7.4.  This will be a binary
> > ABI break -- it's unfortunately unavoidable -- and will require all
> > OCaml-using programs to be recompiled, and of course that will affect
> > CentOS and any other RHEL derivatives.
>

> Thanks for the heads-up on this one.

It's not definite yet, but good for CentOS to be aware.

> Happen to have a rough estimate
> handy for the number of impacted packages?

In base RHEL we will be updating these packages:

ocaml
ocaml-calendar
ocaml-csv
ocaml-curses
ocaml-extlib
ocaml-fileutils
ocaml-findlib
ocaml-gettext
ocaml-libvirt
ocaml-ounit
ocaml-xml-light
hivex
graphviz
brlapi
libguestfs

In the extended CentOS/EPEL it will be anything returned by this
command:

  repoquery --whatrequires ocaml-runtime --qf "%{name}" | sort -u

(That's binary packages, not source packages, but it's a good start).

This is assuming you don't want to rebuild packages which contain only
OCaml binaries.  In fact you might want to do that because of a CVE
which came up last year (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/CVE-2015-8869).
In that case you need to look for any package which `BuildRequires: ocaml'.
I'm afraid my repoquery-fu is not good enough :-(

Rich.