[CentOS-devel] Ideas for customizing the embedded Vagrantfile?

Laurentiu Pancescu

lpancescu at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:46:15 UTC 2016

Hello all,

Vagrant boxes include a Vagrantfile, where we can preset some
configuration values, as required by our images.  Right now, the
Vagrantfile for each provider is hard-coded inside the Image Factory
code, but, during a conversation in #centos-devel, Ian was inclined to
accept patches, and eventually discuss possible approaches with whoever
is interested.

Do you have any specific ideas or wishes for customizing the Vagrantfiles?

At a minimum, the MAC address needs to be set in the embedded
Vagrantfile.  Perhaps each image builder could provide its own template
as a parameter, just we like pass the kickstart files to Koji.  I think
it's already possible to interpret variables inside kickstart files (we
used that for setting the root password in the past, before hardcoding
it to 'vagrant'); if not, I think Zope includes a template system.
We'll need to implement this both in Image Factory and Koji (for CBS).

I would be especially interested in getting this done; with just one
hardcoded Vagrantfile for everyone using Image Factory, there's always
the danger that a change in Image Factory to accommodate one project
might adversely impact other projects. [1]

Best regards,
Laurențiu

[1] https://github.com/redhat-imaging/imagefactory/issues/366