[CentOS-devel] NFV SIG - update

Tue Sep 27 16:19:36 UTC 2016
Thomas F Herbert <therbert at redhat.com>

Karsten,

Thanks for the detail info about governance and the process in Centos.

More comments in line below:

--Tom

On 09/26/2016 08:51 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:

> On 09/26/2016 03:15 PM, Dave Neary wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There has been a recent resurgence of interest in the NFV SIG, and in
>> the interest of keeping the momentum going, I would like to step aside
>> as SIG char, and recommend that Tom Herbert take over. Tom has taken on
>> the packaging and building of VPP and DPDK-accelerated OVS for OPNFV,
>> and has been active in the SIG in recent weeks, and I think he will help
>> add the structure that has been sorely lacking from me in recent months.
>>
>> I'm not sure what the process is for replacing a SIG chair - can someone
>> let us know, please?
>>

> I'll gladly be the policy wonk with some thoughts. ;-)
>
> Although I helped write it, it's been a while so I went to review SIG
> governance:
>
> https://www.centos.org/about/governance/sigs/
>
> Thanks to the Easter eggs in there from our past selves, here's my
> summary of the situations & steps:
>
> tl;dnr
> ======
>
> You need to talk with me, your Board mentor, and we need to get approval
> from the Board. A video face-to-face with you and Tom is also in order.
> Let's go ahead and thrash out the details in this thread, I'm expecting
> some input from others, and we'll just drive it to resolution.
>
> SIG members, RDO folks, KB, Jim, -- I'm looking at you for input on
> leadership changes and mission, toward helping the NFV SIG get a clear
> path forward. I concur I'm seeing the resurgence of energy and want to
> help it/get out of its way.
>
> wonky details
> =============
>
> A. With a SIG in the early stages, a move to replace leadership of the
> SIG needs to managed hand-in-hand with your SIG mentor from the CentOS
> Board. Oh, hey, appears that's me![0]
>
> B. That person's recommendation to the overall Board is going to carry a
> lot of weight, so make that person comfortable with the process and
> decision.[1] Let's talk here on list & maybe some directly, as needed,
> to work that out so we can get it to a Board vote in a reasonable time.
>
> C. A video conference with the Board and the current & proposed SIG
> chairs would be a good idea. Public or private is a different question.[2]
OK, I will set up video con via BJN with you and Dave and anyone else
that indicates interest.

> D. Ultimately, at this early SIG maturity level ("Sandbox"), all new SIG
> members require Board approval. In practice we've been doing super-soft
> consensus, where we trust the Board mentor to oversee the project and
> member approvals without requiring an explicit +1.[3]
>
> My last thought is to wonder if you and/or Tom Herbert are able to come
> to the CentOS Interlock on 9/10 of November in Paris? It might be a good
> chance to close a hand-off of the ecosystem relationships.
>
> https://wiki.centos.org/Events/Interlock2016
I would love to but I am booked for OVSCON on the 7th 8th and the
ovs/dpdk design summit on the 10th.