[CentOS-devel] I would like to help with CentOS/EPEL i686

Fabian Arrotin

arrfab at centos.org
Sat Apr 8 14:39:32 UTC 2017

On 08/04/17 11:36, Zdenek Sedlak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an interest to keep some i686 hardware running with CentOS 7
> installed. However there are some packages in EPEL I need so I am
> willing to help with maintaning/building the i686 packages for both CentOS and EPEL.
>
> Could you point me what I can do to join the effort?
>
> Thanks
>
> //Zdenek

If you target EPEL, you should probably ask that on the EPEL list.
AFAIK, as EPEL is rebuild against RHEL (and only RHEL, following their
building guidelines), all non-released architectures aren't supported
and so not targeted.

That's the reason why Johnny started an initial rebuild (but don't know
if that's a continuous effort though) for el7/i{3,6}686 that appeared on
https://buildlogs.centos.org/c7-epel/ (but doesn't seem to be maintained
nor tracked) but that's not part of any official SIG/effort.

Same for armhfp architecture : as users were searching for such packages
that aren't built, we were just using the armhfp builders to try a
rebuild of epel SRPMs (without any testing/signing so raw output from
the builders) and all that is available here :
https://armv7.dev.centos.org/repodir/epel-pass-1/

I've even been contacted by some people saying that I/we can't call it
EPEL as it's not the real one ... Don't know what to think about this,
and we tried to have EPEL rebuilding against CentOS for Alt Arches not
supported upstream but that went nowhere. Maybe try asking again there ?

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab