[CentOS-devel] Disk size on Vagrant image

Laurentiu Pancescu lpancescu at centosproject.org
Sat Aug 26 06:18:42 UTC 2017

On 25/08/17 17:28, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> A few questions as I look at
> https://github.com/lpancescu/sig-cloud-instance-build
>
> 1) I don't see where the 'dd' is happening, could you point to that?

Not implemented yet in CentOS, but reducing the image size is something
I intend to do as soon as 7.4.1708 is released.  You can take a look at
Fedora's kickstart (no idea why they don't use zerofree, Fedora images
only use ext4):

https://pagure.io/fedora-kickstarts/blob/master/f/fedora-cloud-base.ks#_242-246

> 2) Is there a strong reason to use xfs instead of ext4 on the Vagrant VMs?

"Strong" is somewhat subjective, but XFS is the default filesystem in
CentOS and some people ran out of inodes with our ext4 Vagrant images,
without running out of space.  I wanted to go back to ext4 (with a small
bytes-per-inode parameter) and get rid of the swap partition, like
Fedora Cloud, but there was quite enthusiastic opposition in
#centos-devel to moving away from XFS.

> 3) It seems you could shrink down the install size by adjusting the
> kickstart. Doing i.e. '%packages --nobase', and also removing '@core' and
> instead adding just the individual desired packages to the list should help
> reduce the size (and the need to remove stuff after install).

I know, but...  Our official images are quite popular and users seem to
prefer an experience close to what you'd get by installing CentOS
yourself, so we tend to err on the side of not changing things and not
straying too far away from users' expectations.  We're still using an
IDE controller for the VirtualBox images, even though the VirtualBox
docs recommend using SATA or SCSI for performance reasons, again due to
vocal opposition to changing the (bad) defaults - mostly from Marcin.  I
didn't even remove the man pages from the images yet (like Fedora does),
and I think users would be confused if @core wouldn't be part of the
images.  We could also reduce the image size considerably if the CentOS
kernels were also split in packages for VMs and for real hardware, like
it's been in Fedora for several releases - I'm afraid that's up to Red
Hat, though.

I started to go through the XFS documentation, to see if it's possible
to implement something similar to zerofree.  I'm quite tired during the
week after work and commuting (there are constant traffic jams around
Stuttgart - think 35km one-way in 60-90 minutes), so progress is really
slow.

Best regards,
Laurențiu