[CentOS-devel] Export licensing for crypto

Karsten Wade

kwade at redhat.com
Wed Aug 9 04:05:48 UTC 2017

On 08/08/2017 04:30 PM, Thomas F Herbert wrote:
> Vpp package includes an accelerated software IPSecusing the multi-buffer
> library.
>
> My understanding is that due to US law, since this is a separate
> implementation from OpenSSL, It requires an export license.
>
> We are covered upstream through Linux foundation.
>
> Does Centos.org hold an export license for crypto?
>
> Is this a question for the Centos board?

Perhaps, but it depends on a bit more clarity. I'd have to know a bit
more about this specific case & can ask our friendly export compliance
folks.

That said, the distro is distributed with the Export Control
Classification Number (ECCN) for/from RHEL:

https://wiki.centos.org/ECCN

The gray area we might be in here is if the Vpp package is not in the
upstream distro. Can you give more background on where it's derived from?

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade
Community Infrastructure Team : https://osci.io