[CentOS-devel] CentOS cloud images - release details

Fabian Arrotin

arrfab at centos.org
Wed Aug 9 11:56:23 UTC 2017

On 09/08/17 12:21, Neil Wilson wrote:
> I’ve been using the latest 1707 QCOW image from the cantos VM image archive and I noticed that the release file still states
>
> [centos at srv-1g16s ~]$ more /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS Linux release 7.3.1611 (Core)
>
> Is keeping the the ‘1611’ static deliberate or should that number update to reflect the image release number?
>
> Rgs

the "rolling" cloud images (same for .iso) are in fact
- based on latest major.minor released version (so 7.1611 in this case,
soon to be 7.1708 when 7.4.1708 will be released)
- updated with all pkgs released as "updates" since that major.minor
release (so from november 2016 up to July 2017 in the 1707 example), but
the major.minor release itself is still 7.{3}.1611,

Does that clarify it ?
--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab