[CentOS-devel] Plan for releasing CentOS CR into CBS and CI

Jim Perrin

jperrin at centos.org
Thu Aug 31 16:30:31 UTC 2017

On 08/31/2017 03:18 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> x86_64 and ppc64 and ppc64le are ready to go, can we get those into CBS
> and CI and let aarch64 catchup ? It does not look like Jim's anywhere
> near closing that off.

For aarch64, it's a bit more comprehensive than the rest of the
distribution, because we had to wait to get additional pieces for the
build. There's a 4.11 kernel, an updated qemu-kvm and about a dozen
other packages that weren't released until earlier this week. Some of
these are incompatible with the other parts of 7.4, so I've had to sort
through them. They're also not currently in git.centos as they weren't
part of the last push so I have to sort that out upstream as well.

Given the demands of the CentOS aarch64 community, releasing without the
4.11 kernel isn't an option.

> Thomas, any options you can think through here ?
> On 31/08/17 08:48, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
>> 2017-08-30 15:07 GMT+02:00 Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org
>> <mailto:arrfab at centos.org>>:
>>     On 21/08/17 16:57, Brian Stinson wrote:
>>     > Hi Folks,
>>     >
>>     > We've had a few discussions around how to handle releasing CRFo
>>     > (https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR
>>     <https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR>) over the
>>     > past few days.
>>     >
>>     > When we last checked in, there was still a bit of work going on building
>>     > and testing pre-release CR (the QA team has been hard at work), and the
>>     > altarch builds were still in progress.
>>     >
>>     > There are 2 ways the release might play out:
>>     >
>>     > - If the altarch (aarch64, and ppc64{,le}) builds are finished, and we
>>     >   are otherwise ready: CBS and CI will be seeded from the mirrors just
>>     >   like usual, and CR will be available at roughly the same time as the
>>     >   rest of the mirror network
>>     >
>>     > - If the altarch builds are not yet ready, the CentOS QA team may decide
>>     >   to release x86_64 ahead of the other arches. In that case, we will
>>     >   wait for ppc and aarch64 but still seed CI and CBS together as soon as
>>     >   the altarch builds are ready.
>>     >
>>     >
>>     > If there are any questions, feel free to comment here. As always we will
>>     > post updates as we move forward.
>>     >
>>     > Cheers!
>>     >
>>     > --
>>     > Brian Stinson
>>     I was dscussing with some people on IRC who got the false impression
>>     that what they were building and also testing in CI was tested against
>>     CR. I'm back from "offline mode" and had a quick check, but it seems
>>     that your proposal #2 was the one that was chosen : nothing pushed to
>>     CBS/CI so built/tested against 7.3 and not 7.3+CR
>>     Just want to be sure that we communicate that as I saw some RDO folks
>>     mentioning Pike (next release) being released today and they hoped to
>>     follow closely the upstream release. I hope that then the 7.4.1708
>>     release will not break their Pike builds and tests (released before
>>     7.4.1708)
>> Also note qemu-kvm-ev is still qemu-kvm-ev-2.6.0-28.el7.10.1
>> <http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=17495>
>> because without 7.4 bits in CBS I can't
>> build qemu-kvm-ev-2.9.0-16.el7_4.3.1
>> <http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=19374> so enabling CR repo
>> will break qemu-kvm-ev users.

Jim Perrin
The CentOS Project | http://www.centos.org
twitter: @BitIntegrity | GPG Key: FA09AD77

More information about the CentOS-devel mailing list