[CentOS-devel] Disk size on Vagrant image

Sun Aug 20 00:36:10 UTC 2017
Laurentiu Pancescu <lpancescu at centosproject.org>

On 19/08/17 15:12, Anssi Johansson wrote:
 > for pkg in $packages_to_be_removed
 > do
 >      rpm -ql $pkg | while read file
 >      do
 >          if [ -f $file ]
 >          then
 >              shred -n0 -uz $file
 >          fi
 >      done
 > done
 > rpm --erase $packages_to_be_removed
 >
 > This would eliminate the need of having to use dd. Obviously some
packages may want to run an uninstallation script at uninstall time,
which may (or may not) cause errors if some critical executables have
vanished. rpm's --noscripts may help in that case, if running the
uninstallation script is not actually necessary.

Some of these packages might need to be reinstalled after the box is
created, either by the user or as dependencies of other packages (e.g.
the kernel depends on linux-firmware, but putting the latter in yum's
exclude list was ignored by Anaconda - no idea if that would be
respected by yum during normal operation, there was no newer kernel when
I tested).  We might break things by not uninstalling packages the way
they were meant to.  I think using a hypothetical zerofree for XFS would
be the right way to do it (we could switch the Vagrant images back to
ext4, but there's some opposition to this due to the fixed number of
inodes in ext4).

 > With the dd step removed, enlarging the file system size should be
easier, if desired.

Indeed.  I'd have no objection to the increase in the maximum disk size
of the Vagrant images if the dd problem would disappear.