[CentOS-devel] Centos 7 vagrant image unnecessary packages

Laurențiu Păncescu lpancescu at centosproject.org
Sat Dec 16 21:24:17 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-16 19:58, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
> Can't the "linux-firmware" package be prevented from installing any
> files by setting "%_netsharedpath /usr/lib/firmware" during
> installation and then remove it in %post?

The proper fix would be for the kernel package not to define a
dependency on the linux-firmware. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened
yet, even in Fedora, when they split the kernel package.

> Can we get (at least) the man pages back? With the removal of
> centos-logos, the image size would remain about the same

That depends on how many people complain about that until the next
release (probably in February). I would also prefer minimal images, fast
to create and destroy, to having the man pages included in every Vagrant
instance - like other people here. I use linux.die.net as well.

> Although it doesn't bother me the least, the license violation issues
> that may arise from removing "/usr/share/doc" should be considered.

"--excludedocs" is an official Kickstart option. If you can formulate an
argument that using it violates the license of any package, please file
a bug against CentOS and RHEL.