[CentOS-devel] Centos 7 vagrant image unnecessary packages

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Sat Dec 16 21:44:42 UTC 2017

On December 16, 2017 11:24:17 PM GMT+02:00, "Laurențiu Păncescu" <lpancescu at centosproject.org> wrote:
>On 2017-12-16 19:58, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
>> Can't the "linux-firmware" package be prevented from installing any
>> files by setting "%_netsharedpath /usr/lib/firmware" during
>> installation and then remove it in %post?
>
>The proper fix would be for the kernel package not to define a
>dependency on the linux-firmware.
That IS tricky because real hardware might not boot or lack network access without it. I did experiment once ( on a Dell with Broadcom network chipsets ) and I had to use the KVM to revive its network access after fiddling with the firmware package.

>> Can we get (at least) the man pages back? With the removal of
>> centos-logos, the image size would remain about the same
>
>That depends on how many people complain about that until the next
>release (probably in February). I would also prefer minimal images, fast
>to create and destroy, to having the man pages included in every
>Vagrant instance - like other people here.

I am very much in favor of NOT including the docs. I find them to be completely useless in minimal images. And I would also remove groff, not only man.

>> Although it doesn't bother me the least, the license violation issues
>> that may arise from removing "/usr/share/doc" should be considered.
>
>"--excludedocs" is an official Kickstart option. If you can formulate an
>argument that using it violates the license of any package, please file
>a bug against CentOS and RHEL.

Actually the bug(s) should be opened against the packages which do not install the license when excludedocs is used. The very reason of the separate %license macro (vs %docs) is exactly this one.