[CentOS-devel] libssh missing from extras/ppc64 repository

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Mon Dec 18 09:41:36 UTC 2017

* On 12/15/2017 09:33 PM, James O'Connor wrote:
> I’ve built libssh-0.7.1-3.el7.ppc64.rpm and libssh-devel-0.7.1-3.el7.ppc64.rpm. They will be in the next ppc64 Extras sign and push.
>
> There is no upstream RHEL 7 Extras for ppc64. There is also no ppc64 golang port which makes it impossible to compile a bunch of the Extras content that exists for x86_64 and ppc64le.

Okay, that's good to know.

As previously said, I've been probably barking up the wrong tree. It looks like
ppc64 extras never contained libssh or the other python packages - instead they
were part of EPEL 7, but the packages were deleted there for some unknown reason.

Maybe because the EPEL maintainers saw that the software is available in the
RHEL extras channel (and by extensions, CentOS 7's extras channel) - at least
for x86_64 (and incidentally ppc64le).

If RedHat itself has no extras channel for ppc64, I wonder whether CentOS should
have one in the first place - given that CentOS' goal is to stay close to RHEL.
Maybe it would make sense to drop that repository completely (until RH
introduces an extra channel for ppc64) and hope that EPEL will fill the void.

Mihai