[CentOS-devel] Broken man pages in vagrant box 1710.01

Carlos Rodrigues

cefrodrigues at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 00:13:11 UTC 2017

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 10:46 PM, Manuel Wolfshant
<wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> I fail to understand why would you need the man pages on a server. I do not
> install ANY doc ( no man, no /usr/share/doc ) on any server since 2008 and I
> never ever felt a need for change. You need to read a man page ? Fine!
> Install it in the client you ssh from. Or read it online from that same
> client

Sorry for replying to this message again, but I had delivery disabled
for this mailing list and didn't get the later messages. Anyway, it
doesn't really afect my point.

What you feel is not a problem because one can google for the proper
information, can be a real annoyance for other people for any number
of reasons. If you prefer to remove documentation from your installs,
it's pretty easy to do so just by deleting a couple of directories.
Not so with going the other way around.

If we were talking about an installer option defaulting to
"--excludedocs" but just as easy to uncheck, I'd wouldn't even argue
with you. But this is a pre-built image with this choice set in stone.
The "other way around" here amounts to almost a full image rebuild.

Besides, this change happened from one 7.4 image to the next. I
rebased one of my test enviroments from 1708.01 and suddenly man pages
were gone with no quick way to get them back.

Best regards,