[CentOS-devel] Broken man pages in vagrant box 1710.01

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Mon Dec 11 14:30:26 UTC 2017

On 12/10/2017 06:13 PM, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 10:46 PM, Manuel Wolfshant
> <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
>> I fail to understand why would you need the man pages on a server. I do not
>> install ANY doc ( no man, no /usr/share/doc ) on any server since 2008 and I
>> never ever felt a need for change. You need to read a man page ? Fine!
>> Install it in the client you ssh from. Or read it online from that same
>> client
>
> Sorry for replying to this message again, but I had delivery disabled
> for this mailing list and didn't get the later messages. Anyway, it
> doesn't really afect my point.
>
> What you feel is not a problem because one can google for the proper
> information, can be a real annoyance for other people for any number
> of reasons. If you prefer to remove documentation from your installs,
> it's pretty easy to do so just by deleting a couple of directories.
> Not so with going the other way around.
>
> If we were talking about an installer option defaulting to
> "--excludedocs" but just as easy to uncheck, I'd wouldn't even argue
> with you. But this is a pre-built image with this choice set in stone.
> The "other way around" here amounts to almost a full image rebuild.
>
> Besides, this change happened from one 7.4 image to the next. I
> rebased one of my test enviroments from 1708.01 and suddenly man pages
> were gone with no quick way to get them back.

Agreed that it can be an issue, which is why you can install them if you
like.  Devs asked for no man pages, we gave it to them.  I think maybe
other distros do this as well for an 'as lean as possble' dev environment.

This is venue to discuss that .. so if others think this is major issue
that needs to be addressed, use this thread.

But personally, I think the purpose of vagrant boxes is basically a
quick dev environment and one of the most important features a vagrant
box is small size so that when you spin up hundreds or thousands of them
a day, they minimize bandwidth and download time while getting a
functional environment.

If enough people disagree with that, then it can likely be addressed.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes