[CentOS-devel] Enable ppc64le architecture in ci.centos.org

Mon Jan 23 23:59:47 UTC 2017

Hi Murilo,

This might be better to host on an office hours session perhaps, and
post followup notes to this thread - the ask from your side is quite
vast, and email might take a while to get traction. But a few pieces of
info here :

On 23/01/17 20:14, Murilo Opsfelder Araújo wrote:
> Hi, Karanbir and CentOS community.
>
> I am starting this thread to understand what is needed to enable
> ppc64le architecture in ci.centos.org, be it hardware, software, or
> any roadblock.  As soon as we understand all the requirements, I will
> be pleased to work with you to sort them out.

Welcome!

> Ideally speaking, we would like to have all relevant checks and
> validations performed against amd64 to be executed on ppc64le as well,
> for all the relevant SIGs.

This would be a fantastic goal to aim for. The CentOS CI infrastructure
is evolving at the moment, and this is certainly a good time to get
involved in that process.

There are a few pieces we likely want to address alongside and make sure
we cover the entire work flow, from code control to build and test
through to release.

There are a few SIGs already working against ppc targets, and we could
perhaps use those as a model to work end to end with.

> We also would like to see docker and cloud images, in general, being
> created and validated for ppc64le as part of CentOS pipelines.
>
> As of 7.3, CentOS on ppc64le became a lot easier, meaning, for
> example, that nested qemu/KVM virtualization works out of the box; and
> creating and running docker images in CentOS guest works just fine.

The docker images etc might be a good place to start from, but there is
no infra or process in place to handle these in a sane manner from our
side. So I think the first steps we should likely kick off with is
making sure we have the ppc64 and ppc64le targets available and setup in
cbs.centos.org while we talk about how and where and when we can work on
the other bits.

eg. even if we were building the cloud images, there is no place to test
them.

w.r.t the docker images, I think it might be good to engage into the
CentOS Container Pipeline and handle it that way.

regards,
--
Karanbir Singh