[CentOS-devel] Updating golang in CentOS Extras?

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Sat Jul 15 17:45:26 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 10:14:55AM -0700, Troy Dawson wrote:
> We (the Paas SIG) have made several versions of golang on cbs.  The
> Virt SIG has as well.
> Just find the version you are looking for [1] and tag it into your
> build targets -candidate tag.
> You'll need to wait until your repo is rebuilt (automatic, often in
> under 30 minutes) and there you have it, you now get that version of
> golang.
> One warning.  You will get *that* version of golang.  If the version
> is extra's updates to something else that you want, you will have to
> untag  your version of golang.

Thanks! I've indeed seen that as well and think I can go that route for
the (short term) package building.

However it is not only for the packages that I'm building, but also some
upstream tests that run in the CentOS CI for each GitHub pull-request.
An updated version in Extras would make CentOS an easier platform to
develop+test on. Manually installing Golang for developers and testing
is not *that* an issue, but a 'yum install golang' and getting a more
recent version would be much nicer :-)

Cheers,
Niels