[CentOS-devel] Updating golang in CentOS Extras?

Niels de Vos

ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Jul 17 12:52:11 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 07:01:44AM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 07/15/2017 07:10 AM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Currently CentOS Extras contains golang-1.4.2, but newer versions have
> > been released since. Is there a plan for updating golang any time soon?
> >

> The golang in extras was BEFORE golang was released in RHEL (and
> therefore CentOS) proper.
>
> Now that golang has been released into the base CentOS os/ directory
> (currently golang-1.6.3-2.el7.x86_64.rpm) , the one in extras will not
> be updated as it is older than the released version. (extras is for
> things NOT in the os/ directory).
>
> There is a newer version now in the centosplus repo (where things that
> are changes to and newer than os/ reside) .. currently:
> golang-1.7.4-1.el7.x86_64.rpm  This version is a buildrequire for one of
> the ostree/rpmostree rpms in extras.
>
> There are currentlty no plans to update either of the two latest golang
> versions to anything other than those required / released in the latest
> RHEL source code now that it is being released in RHEL source code.

Ok, thanks for the details!

> > In the CentOS Storage SIG we have a package (heketi) that started to
> > depend on golang-1.6.2 (iirc). For us the older version of Golang in
> > Extrasa results in preventing to update Heketi, and so users will not
> > get the new features that are released upstream.
> >
> > If Extras can not get a newer version of Golang (soonish), what is the
> > preferred approach to make an updated version of Golang available for
> > repositories in a SIG?
> >

> Obviously the SIGs will release golang versions (or any other packages)
> that are required to build or run their SIG software.  RPMs in SIGs can
> be whatever version is required for the SIG and could replace versions
> in the base os/ repo from CentOS if required.

Yes, so much is clear. But I would prefer to have the buildroot inherit
a certain tag and not have to tag and track updated versions of Golang.

I'll verify what version the tests need and may enable centosplus to get
the 1.7.4 version. Developers that want to develop on CentOS should also
be able to use that version, I guess.

This helps a lot, thanks!
Niels