[CentOS-devel] Release notes of centos genericcloud image?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Jun 13 14:22:25 UTC 2017

On 06/13/2017 02:37 AM, 杨成伟 wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I found centos genericcloud image for openstack at
> https://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/obtain-images.html#centos
>
> but I didn't found any release note for these images, so I didn't known
> what's difference between genericcloud image and the official centos
> release, e.g. centos 6.8, 7.2 release and etc.
>
> Is there any wiki/doc/releasenote?

There is no real difference, the Generic Images are a point time image
made from CentOS (either 6 or 7) for the end of the month for that date.
 For example, CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud-1705.qcow2c is an image
created with the latest packages from the end of May 2017, and is
represented as 1705 (YYMM).

It is basically a minimal install (plus the cloud-init RPM and it's
dependencies) that you can add things to with 'yum install' and it
includes the base OS and the updates from May 31, 2017.  We do one every
month.  It works just like a minimal install of CentOS if you did it
from the installation ISOs. Here is a link:

http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/images/

We also have vagrant box installs and atomic installs if you need those
instead of VM images:

http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/atomic/images/

http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/vagrant/x86_64/images/

All of these images are just a different way to get base CentOS plus
updates for the end of a given month.

We also create an ISO set for the same date here, if you prefer ISO
installs to images:

https://buildlogs.centos.org/rolling/7/isos/x86_64/

Those are also point in time (end of the month) ISO sets that are base
CentOS plus all updates at the time they are generated.