[CentOS-devel] Boot aarch64 VM on x86_64 host

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Thu Jun 15 08:20:25 UTC 2017

On 15/06/17 10:09, Dharmit Shah wrote:
> I'm trying to $subject using CentOS 7.3 system. I took a cue from the
> blog [0] on https://seven.centos.org and tried doing it with
> virt-install. However, the installation process doesn't really begin
> and I don't see any error either.
>
> Here's [1] the stdout when I run virt-install. And the list of
> packages [2] related to libvirt, qemu, kvm, arm.
>
> Can someone help me understand what I'm doing wrong?
>
> [0] https://seven.centos.org/2016/07/running-virtual-machines-on-aarch64/
> [1] http://pastebin.centos.org/108011/
> [2] http://pastebin.centos.org/108021/
>
> Regards,
> Dharmit.

Well, you try to run aarch64 on x86_64, so the answer is already in your
question ;-)
Don't try to follow blog posts that don't apply to you  (as that blog
posts is about aarch64 on aarch64, the same way you can run ppc64le kvm
guests on ppc64le kvm host, but not mix those)

PS : I don't even know if qemu can do binary emulation for aarch64 those
days (while it can for armhfp but reaaaaaalllllly slow)
--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab