[CentOS-devel] Minishift in PaaS SIG

Lalatendu Mohanty

lmohanty at redhat.com
Tue Mar 14 18:17:24 UTC 2017

Hi All,

In last couple of Paas SIG meetings we discussed around if we should
provide Minishift  from PaaS SIG and the general agreement was that it will
benefit the CentOS community.   As a member of Minishift project and PaaS
SIG member I will work to build Minishift in the CentOS build system and
doing the releases through PaaS SIG.  I have copied the recent release
announcement of Minishift in this mail to give you some context about
Minishift .

Previously we were working on Atomic Developer Bundle (ADB) which was part
of Atomic SIG.  Minishift is the next generation tool to replace ADB as it
address lot of ADB's short comings. It is written in Go and it is light
weight and designed to provide better user experience.

We have been doing couple of  beta releases in Minishift project as we move
towards the 1.0.0 release. The next release is planned to be a release
candidate release then followed by 1.0.0 release.

If you are interested to help us in building, testing, releasing Minishift
through PaaS SIG, please let us know.

*Release announcement for Minishift 1.0.0-Beta.5 : *

The Minishift team is pleased to announce the release of Minishift 1.0.0
Beta 5.

Minishift [1] is a command-line tool that provisions and manages
single-node OpenShift clusters optimized for development workflows. You can
run Minishift on GNU/Linux, Microsoft Windows or macOS.

Release highlights

------------------------

This release adds several features, enhancements, and bug fixes, including:

   -

   Minishift is now configured to use nip.io instead of xip.io [4].
   -

      The default routes for application will be created with the <VM IP>.
      nip.io routing suffix.
      -

   The sudoers role was added to the “developer” user [5].
   -

      This role allows the “developer” to impersonate system:admin when
      running a command. For example, you can run “$ oc get nodes --as
      system:admin” while logged in as the developer user.
      -

   An important bug for proxy server (http/https) support was fixed  [10].
   -

      We had a bug where registration was failing in proxy environments.
      -

   OpenShift related subcommands from the root context were moved under the
   “minishift openshift” command [11].

This release also includes many changes and bug fixes, which are detailed
in the release notes  [2] and milestone [3] . For information about getting
started, using, and developing Minishift, see the documentation [6].

Additional components

-----------------------------

   -

   We released new versions of the Boot2Docker ISO (v1.0.2) [ 8] and the
   CentOS ISO (v1.0.0-rc3) [7] images.
   -

   We added the ‘fuse-sshfs’ package to both the ISO images. With SSHFS,
   users can mount host folders. Currently this is a manual process [9] but we
   are working on automating it.

Please give the new release a try and let us know your feedback. The
Minishift community hangs out at #minishift channel on Freenode and it is
the perfect place to discuss anything Minishift related.

[1] https://github.com/minishift/minishift

[2] https://github.com/minishift/minishift/releases/tag/v1.0.0-beta.5

[3] https://github.com/minishift/minishift/milestone/10

[4] https://github.com/minishift/minishift/issues/501