[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 extras for alternative arches and Koji workflow.

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Fri Mar 17 09:49:24 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 6:17 PM, Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org> wrote:

> On 15/03/17 16:58, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > On 15/03/17 09:28, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> >
> >> So my understanding is that the problem relies on the fact that there
> >> isn't even a policy around Extras repository now. So it's up to the
> >> people allowed to build/sign/push to know what they'll add in Extras,
> >> and only in the arches they care about.
> >
> > https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories has a
> > definition for the Extras repos. on C7 it should include what is
> > upstream in the Extras/ repos ( provided we are able to build it ), and
> > other things that are needed sometimes to build content in base /
> updates.
> >
> > In addition to this, Extras should contain all centos-release-* files
> > from the SIG's.
> >
> > The only other content that should make it into Extras should be content
> > vetted by the core sig, considered fundamental to user experience or
> > tooling for user experience. ie. a fairly high barrier to entry.
> >
> > Does that give us enough policy wording for Extras ? Do we have
> > exceptions we need to work through ?
> >

> Sounds good. So with that definition in mind, how can we be sure that
> Extras is then built/distributed in parallel for all arches, so that
> then it can be safely enabled within CBS ?
>
> --
> Fabian Arrotin
> The CentOS Project | http://www.centos.org
> gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab

Adding here notes I sent in a different thread, for reference.
I'm facing some discrepancies in repositories structure for ppc64le.

In x86_64 qemu-kvm-ev is shipped within
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/virt/x86_64/kvm-common/
which is the path I was expecting. Now, looking at ppc64le I see it shipped
within:
http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/extras/ppc64le/Packages/
and being extras enabled by default it overrides qemu-kvm shipped by core
os.
Can we at least replicate the same structure between
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7 and http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7 ?

next, I see cockpit available for x86_64 in
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/extras/x86_64/Packages/
but it's missing in
http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/extras/ppc64le/Packages/

I see cockpit in fedora ppc64le: https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/
buildinfo?buildID=869569
so it should be possible to get it on centos as well.
Can you please build it?

--
Sandro Bonazzola
See how it works at redhat.com