[CentOS-devel] Anyone using the serial console from our Vagrant boxes?

Laurentiu Pancescu

lpancescu at gmail.com
Wed May 3 11:58:11 UTC 2017

Hi,

The default boot parameters of our Vagrant images activate a serial
console.  The problem is that VirtualBox doesn't enable a serial port by
default, and our boxes hang if they really need to use the console, e.g.
during relabeling[1] or during the initial configuration required for
sealed VM templates (what I'm currently trying for Hyper-V support).

Is anyone using the serial console we provide?  If not, I can just
remove the console=ttyS0 parameter from the kernel command line.
Otherwise, a patch for Image Factory is trivial - I can just the set the
port to enabled in the XML file, without the cable connected, and
probably move console=tty0 on the last position, so it becomes the
active console.

Libvirt and VMware don't cause this problem, because they either have a
serial port by default, or pretend it's there if the guest tries to use
it.  No idea if Hyper-V or Xen default to having a serial port.

I would like to fix this for version 1704, which should be released in
the following days.

Regards,
Laurențiu

[1] https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=13213