[CentOS-devel] Vagrant images for Hyper-V

Patrick Lang

patrick.lang at hotmail.com
Tue May 2 19:00:22 UTC 2017

As it stands today it’s getting a new MAC address from the host’s pool:

($vm | Get-VMNetworkAdapter).MacAddress
  00155D16FCF
Get-VMHost | fl Mac*
  MacAddressMaximum : 00155D016FFF
  MacAddressMinimum : 00155D016F00

Hyper-V does have a MAC parameter https://www.vagrantup.com/docs/hyperv/configuration.html#mac that could be used.

I added this to the Vagrantfile
  config.vm.provider "hyperv" do |hv|
    hv.mac = "52:54:00:f8:36:8f"
    hv.differencing_disk = true
  end

Once the VM boots, it still doesn’t get an IP. Ifconfig -a shows the right MAC address, but grepping dmesg for eth0 finds “udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1”. This is some time after hv_netvsc is loaded and has detected the right MAC.

Can you point me to the scripts used to build the boxes? I'd like to get an idea of what’s there so I can provide PRs or feedback as the Hyper-V provider improves.

Private networks & static IPs aren’t implemented yet in the Hyper-V provider. I’m hoping to implement it at some point but it will be a while before I’m able to get to it.
https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues/8384#issuecomment-287570247

Cheers,
Patrick