[CentOS-devel] Missing Dependency of Openshift 3.10 (Ansible 2.4.3) in repo

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 13:07:57 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 6:20 AM Ricardo Martinelli Oliveira
<ricardo.martinelli.oliveira at gmail.com> wrote:

> This has been discussed among the SIGs. the idea is to have only
> ansible available through config-mgmt SIG where the other SIGs consume
> the package from there. At least, I can tell that from the PaaS SIG
> perspective and I understand this is how we are moving with the issue
> of having ansible in our repos.

Is there a yum repository associated with that work? Because I don't
see it. Even if a yum channel is made available, it could get messy
with EPEL still publishing ansible.

ansible 2.6, without ansible-tower, is available in EPEL and should be
able to resolve this dependency for this OpenShift channel.
Unfortunately, as has come up before, ansible is also in the
commercial, not the public,  RHEL channels. A SIG that doesn't
actually have a working yum channel doesn't seem to part of a normal
solution for this, and expecting ansible managers to build their RPM's
personally, locally does not seem to be a robust solution to the
issue, especially as long as EPEL keeps publishing workable releases.
(Good ones!!)

If we like, I could write some time about how critical EPEL is to
providing robust, usable RHEL and CentOS environments. But for getting
ansible in the short term, I've found it's the way to go.