[CentOS-devel] [Cloud SIG] CloudStack publishing effort in CentOS

Rohit Yadav

rohit at yadav.cloud
Sun Feb 4 09:27:57 UTC 2018

Hi all, (/cc cloudstack-dev)

I'm Rohit Yadav, committer/pmc from the Apache CloudStack [1] community.
Apache CloudStack is an IaaS cloud computing platform.

I've been maintaining and publishing the CloudStack noredist repos [3][4]
for few years now, and I would like to get them published to the official
CentOS (and other distros) repositories.

I met Rich during Fosdem yesterday and he suggested to reach out to the
cloud-sig/list [2] to discuss how we can get CloudStack rpms into CentOS. I
understand in the past we were not very successful at that, but I want to
make a second attempt especially since we've introduced the concept of LTS
releases in CloudStack.

I'm not sure if the devel list is the right place or if an explicit
cloud-sig list exists [2], so please advise --
- Where may I start?
- What is the packaging/release process and how can one help become a
package maintainer?
- Advise on legal stuff around publishing of rpms (the noredist
repositories bundle non-oss jar dependencies such as those from Vmware vim
sdk etc)?
- How can the packages also be available for Fedora, may RHEL and
derivatives?
-

Thoughts, comments? Thanks.

Regards.

[1] https://cloudstack.apache.org/
[2] https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Cloud
[3] packages.shapeblue.com/cloudstack/upstream
[4] CloudStack packaging, spec files etc:
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/tree/master/packaging