[CentOS-devel] Sharing Software Collections over NFS?

Honza Horak

hhorak at redhat.com
Fri Feb 9 15:03:39 UTC 2018

It's been a while since I wrote an article about a cool feature that we
introduced together with Software Collections packaging format, which is
*the ability to share the environment on multiple machines by NFS
sharing *[1].

The idea is very simple -- install Software Collections of your favorite
application stack (say Python 3.6 + NodeJS 8) and mount the /opt/rh on
workstations. That way you have the same environment on all machines.

Now, I'd like to request some feedback -- is there anybody on the list
(or outside, but you at least know about it) who uses this feature for
the Software Collections packages?

Please, let us know! If you can't share it publicly, just drop me a
direct mail. Of course, more feedback is welcome, but even simple YES
would be also cool.

[1]
https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2015/06/29/maintain-software-collections-easily-on-thousands-of-machines-using-scl-register/

Thanks!