[CentOS-devel] What is the state of glusterfs-server on CentOS 6?

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Jun 18 12:41:40 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 08:08:12AM -0400, Carl T. Miller wrote:
> I'm a little confused about  the state of glusterfs-server on CentOS 6.
> It isn't supported with gluster 4, the current recommended version
> of gluster.
>
> I have an existing server with glusterfs-server 3.18.15-1 which had a
> hard drive crash.  So I'd like to rebuild the gluster environment on that
> server.  I see that centos-release-gluster38 is available, but I read some-
> where that it is no longer supported.  Also centos-release-gluster312
> is available, but I don't see any indication that it is still supported.
>
> Is the SIG providing any ongoing support beyond that which is provided
> by the gluster project?
>
> What is the current recommendation of the storage sig for running
> glusterfs-server on CentOS 6?

The supported releases are on https://www.gluster.org/community/release-schedule/

You are correct that with Gluster 4.0 there is no more support for
glusterfs-server on CentOS-6. The client packages will stay available
for the next Gluster 4.x releases.

On CentOS-6 the recommendation is to use the packages from the
repositories provided by centos-release-gluster312.

Feel free to give a recommendation on how the support of the different
versions can be explained/documented (better).

HTH,
Niels