[CentOS-devel] [Cloud SIG] RDO OpenStack Queens packages available

Rich Bowen

rbowen at redhat.com
Thu Mar 1 10:07:53 UTC 2018

The RDO community is pleased to announce the general availability of the
RDO build for OpenStack Queens for RPM-based distributions, CentOS Linux
7 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux. RDO is suitable for building private,
public, and hybrid clouds. Queens is the 17th release from the OpenStack
project, which is the work of more than 1600 contributors from around
the world (source - http://stackalytics.com/ ).

The release is making its way out to the CentOS mirror network, and
should be on your favorite mirror site momentarily.

The RDO community project curates, packages, builds, tests and maintains
a complete OpenStack component set for RHEL and CentOS Linux and is a
member of the CentOS Cloud Infrastructure SIG. The Cloud Infrastructure
SIG focuses on delivering a great user experience for CentOS Linux users
looking to build and maintain their own on-premise, public or hybrid clouds.

All work on RDO, and on the downstream release, Red Hat OpenStack
Platform, is 100% open source, with all code changes going upstream first.

New and Improved
Interesting things in the Queens release include:

* Ironic now supports Neutron routed networks with flat networking and
introduces support for Nova traits when scheduling
* RDO now includes rsdclient, an OpenStack client plugin for Rack Scale
Design architecture
* Support for octaviaclient and Octavia Horizon plugin has been added to
improve Octavia service deployments.
* Tap-as-a-Service (TaaS) network extension to the OpenStack network
service (Neutron) has been included.
* Multi-vendor Modular Layer 2 (ML2) driver networking-generic-switch si
now available of operators deploying RDO Queens.

Other improvements include:

* Most of the bundled intree tempest plugins have been moved to their
own repository during Queens cycle. RDO has adapted plugin packages for
these new model.
* In an effort to improve the quality and reduce the delivery time for
our users, RDO keeps refining and automating all required processes
needed to build, test and publish the packages included in RDO distribution.

Note that packages for OpenStack projects with cycle-trailing release
models[*] will be created after a release is delivered according to the
OpenStack Queens schedule.
[*]
https://releases.openstack.org/reference/release_models.html#cycle-trailing

Contributors
During the Queens cycle, we saw the following new contributors:

Aditya Ramteke
Jatan Malde
Ade Lee
James Slagle
Alex Schultz
Artom Lifshitz
Mathieu Bultel
Petr Viktorin
Radomir Dopieralski
Mark Hamzy
Sagar Ippalpalli
Martin Kopec
Victoria Martinez de la Cruz
Harald Jensas
Kashyap Chamarthy
dparalen
Thiago da Silva
chenxing
Johan Guldmyr
David J Peacock
Sagi Shnaidman
Jose Luis Franco Arza

Welcome to all of you, and thank you so much for participating!

But, we wouldn’t want to overlook anyone. Thank you to all 76
contributors who participated in producing this release. This list
includes commits to rdo-packages and rdo-infra repositories, and is
provided in no particular order:

Yatin Karel
Aditya Ramteke
Javier Pena
Alfredo Moralejo
Christopher Brown
Jon Schlueter
Chandan Kumar
Haikel Guemar
Emilien Macchi
Jatan Malde
Pradeep Kilambi
Luigi Toscano
Alan Pevec
Eric Harney
Ben Nemec
Matthias Runge
Ade Lee
Jakub Libosvar
Thierry Vignaud
Alex Schultz
Juan Antonio Osorio Robles
Mohammed Naser
James Slagle
Jason Joyce
Artom Lifshitz
Lon Hohberger
rabi
Dmitry Tantsur
Oliver Walsh
Mathieu Bultel
Steve Baker
Daniel Mellado
Terry Wilson
Tom Barron
Jiri Stransky
Ricardo Noriega
Petr Viktorin
Juan Antonio Osorio Robles
Eduardo Gonzalez
Radomir Dopieralski
Mark Hamzy
Sagar Ippalpalli
Martin Kopec
Ihar Hrachyshka
Tristan Cacqueray
Victoria Martinez de la Cruz
Bernard Cafarelli
Harald Jensas
Assaf Muller
Kashyap Chamarthy
Jeremy Liu
Daniel Alvarez
Mehdi Abaakouk
dparalen
Thiago da Silva
Brad P. Crochet
chenxing
Johan Guldmyr
Antoni Segura Puimedon
David J Peacock
Sagi Shnaidman
Jose Luis Franco Arza
Julie Pichon
David Moreau-Simard
Wes Hayutin
Attila Darazs
Gabriele Cerami
John Trowbridge
Gonéri Le Bouder
Ronelle Landy
Matt Young
Arx Cruz
Joe H. Rahme
marios
Sofer Athlan-Guyot
Paul Belanger

Getting Started

There are three ways to get started with RDO.

To spin up a proof of concept cloud, quickly, and on limited hardware,
try an All-In-One Packstack installation. You can run RDO on a single
node to get a feel for how it works.
For a production deployment of RDO, use the TripleO Quickstart and
you’ll be running a production cloud in short order.

Finally, if you want to try out OpenStack, but don’t have the time or
hardware to run it yourself, visit TryStack, where you can use a free
public OpenStack instance, running RDO packages, to experiment with the
OpenStack management interface and API, launch instances, configure
networks, and generally familiarize yourself with OpenStack. (TryStack
is not, at this time, running Queens, although it is running RDO.)

Getting Help

The RDO Project participates in a Q&A service at ask.openstack.org. We
also have our users at lists.rdoproject.org for RDO-specific users and
operrators. For more developer-oriented content we recommend joining the
dev at lists.rdoproject.org mailing list. Remember to post a brief
introduction about yourself and your RDO story. The mailng lists
archives are all available at https://mail.rdoproject.org
You can also find extensive documentation on the RDO docs site.

The #rdo channel on Freenode IRC is also an excellent place to find help
and give help.

We also welcome comments and requests on the CentOS mailing lists and
the CentOS and TripleO IRC channels (#centos, #centos-devel, and
#tripleo on irc.freenode.net), however we have a more focused audience
in the RDO venues.

Getting Involved

To get involved in the OpenStack RPM packaging effort, see the RDO
community pages and the CentOS Cloud SIG page. See also the RDO
packaging documentation.

Join us in #rdo on the Freenode IRC network, and follow us at
@RDOCommunity on Twitter. If you prefer Facebook, we’re there too, and
also Google+.

--
Rich Bowen: Community Architect