[CentOS-devel] centos 7.5 src.rpm missing

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Sat May 12 11:56:21 UTC 2018

On 05/10/2018 07:00 AM, Farkas Levente wrote:
> On 05/10/2018 01:41 PM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
>> Now back to the centos-release src.rpm question , our builders are
>> pushing raw builds (so untested/unsigned) to public location(including
>> build logs, mock config used, etc), so you can find centos-release here
>> : https://buildlogs.centos.org/c7.1804.00.x86_64/centos-release/ )
>>
>> Hope that this answers your question
>
> that's all correct and i also find the it in buildlog, but why don't you
> use git.centos.org for this (and may be other) packages?

The shadow cache content (binary files like tarballs) for git.centos.org
is written to by Red Hat as part of their release process when they
release packages for RHEL.  The CentOS core team (usually me, sometimes
one of the other members) can edit the text files (change specs, add
patches, etc.) .. BUT .. we can't push binary files directly to the
shadow cache.

This means that packages that are not actually produced as part of RHEL
(ie, centos-* packages) have to be added out of the normal process.
That is, I have to give them to someone and have them manually inject
them into the the stream, as I can not actually push the tarballs to
git.centos.org.

Since they are available via buildlogs, and then also vault, that is not
normally a priority compared to the other pieces of the release process.

This subset of packages is very few (that is, CentOS core content that
does not originate from RHEL Source code), in fact it is usually only
the centos-release package.  Or it would be centos-bookmarks or
centos-logos or centos-indexhtml .. if those would change (they usually
do not).