[CentOS-devel] Cockpit on CentOS 7 bugs/issues

Thu Oct 25 22:16:26 UTC 2018
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

>>> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=14775
>>> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=13197
>>> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=14774
>>> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=14761
>>> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=14776
>>> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=14777
>>> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=14776
>>>

>>> Many of these may be obsolete.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Harry
>>>
>>> On 25/10/2018, 13:33, "Harry Mallon" <Harry.Mallon at codex.online> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Hi all,
>>>
>>>     I am trying cockpit on CentOS 7.
>>>
>>>     1. Cockpit-system v176 install subscription-manager by default. This is very annoying on CentOS as I do not have a subscription and do not want one.
>>>     2. Cockpit-system v176 has cockpit-sosreport rolled into it. However, the rpm does not have the sos package required as it should do.
>>>
>>>     Who makes the packages for the "extras" repo? Is there a better place to report these issues?
>>>

>> The packages in question come from this source code:
>>
>> https://git.centos.org/summary/rpms!cockpit
>>
>> The original sources are in rhel-7-extras
>>
>> We have to de-brand / modify the packages, here are the commits for that:
>>
>> https://git.centos.org/log/rpms!cockpit.git/c7-extras
>>
>> If you look at the actual commit for the debranding, I added in the step
>> that normally gets rid of subscriptions .. (line 42 of the commit):
>>
>> https://git.centos.org/commitdiff/rpms!cockpit.git/fc6cf2b2c9befc6fea436bc8c3341d4c46bbec91
>>
>> Now we need to figure out WHY the require for subscription-manager is
>> still there.
>>
>> Let the troubleshooting begin :)
>
> This link is the actual spec used:
> https://git.centos.org/blob/rpms!cockpit.git/c7-extras/SPECS!cockpit.spec
>
> hmm .. looks to me like cockpit-system should NOT require
> subscription-manager .. but it does :(

OK, we figured out that part .. they used %define build_subscriptions 1
and they used to test the VALUE of that .. but now they just look at %if
%{defined} .. so a 1 or a 0 will both ne true.  SO .. I will have to
make a change to test the value or %undefine that variable now.

WRT sosreport .. are we sure that our modifed sosreport will work with
cockpit (have you used it in the past)?  We heavily mod sosreport to not
use subscription pieces and point to bugs.centos.org.