[CentOS-devel] HPC Sig

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Tue Sep 4 21:45:17 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 04, 2018 at 11:41:32AM -0700, Paul Graydon wrote:
> There was some email conversation on this list a couple of weeks ago
> about the HPC SIG, but it didn't really seem to go anywhere or have any
> solid conclusion, other than "join #centos-devel".  Between some
> freenode instability/spam protections etc. some issues with my usual
> persistent session, and just sheer quantity of conversation happening
> there, it's somewhat hard to figure out where anything sits.  I didn't
> see any obvious signs of further conversation there, but there's a good
> chance I missed it.  If there was further conversation and someone would
> be able to point me towards it off list, I'd love to read it.

As far as I am aware, I am the only 'active' person in the HPC SIG and
have not seen any further HPC discussions.

> As a cloud provider that provides high spec bare metal servers to
> customers, we're finding a lot of usage and interest from customers with
> various forms of HPC workloads, everything from GROMACs to Hadoop and
> beyond.  CentOS, likewise, continues to be a popular distribution for
> our customers, across every hardware and virtual machine specification.
> If there's ideas on how to make HPC better on CentOS, I'd love to be
> part of the conversation, and see if there are opportunities to help.

Right now I still think that OpenHPC is a very good starting point to
collaborate on HPC packages for CentOS. Especially if you are interested
in bringing in additional packages like GROMACs.

I am also happy to help any other HPC efforts around CentOS. So if you
have any ideas how to better integrate HPC into CentOS let me (us) know.

		Adrian