[CentOS-devel] [RFE] Distinguished volume ids between different kinds of ISOs

Fabiano Fidêncio

fidencio at redhat.com
Mon Sep 10 07:05:23 UTC 2018

The reasoning behind this request is to have more accurate data in
osinfo-db that could be used, for instance, by GNOME Boxes and virt-manager.

Currently, as the "Everything", "DVD", "Minimal" and "Network" ISOs have
exactly the same Volume id (CentOS 7 x86_64) we can't distinguish the ISOs
the user have in order to help them to properly pick up whatever is better
for their needs.

The way we have been currently working this around is by having the ISO's
volume size (which are usually different) combined with their Volume id.
This approach, however, won't work well in CentOS case as we're offering
the "Rolling" ISOs to the users and their volume size will change on every
new addition/removal.

I've also noticed that for the Live ISOs they volume id is already
distinguished (CentOS-7-x86_64-LiveKDE-* vs CentOS-7-x86_64-LiveGNOME-*)
thus the RFE to see whether doing the same for the other ISOs would be
something appealing to CentOS.

This conversation can also be done in
https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=15260 in case the developers prefer
that way.