[CentOS-devel] [CentOS-docs] Authorization to use CentOS logo in GNOME Boxes

Fabiano Fidêncio fidencio at redhat.com
Wed Sep 19 09:10:00 UTC 2018

Karsten,

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 1:07 AM, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 09/18/2018 11:03 AM, Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:
> > My understanding is that we can use all the CentOS marks provided
> here[0].
> > However, those unfortunately are not looking good enough on Boxes and
> > we'd like to use, if possible, just the logo as in here[1]
> >
> > Would that be possible? As far as I could understand that would be a
> > violation of the trademark.
> >
> > [0]: https://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Brand/Logo#head-
> bf605cecf99c819d5a39e726ffb928999e1a13e6
> > [1]: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:CentOS#/media/
> File:CentOS_color_logo.svg
>
> Hi Fabiano,
>
> Thanks for clarifying and that connects with what Rich said about how
> we've used just the graphic logo mark in practice but do not have a
> guideline that allows that on the ArtWork wiki.
>
> This item is actually on my short list of things to clarify for the
> trademark guidelines and updates on the ArtWork page.
>
> For the moment, we can pursue a specific permission for GNOME Boxes.
> Can you provide a mock-up of how it would appear on the page?

It's not going to be in the GNOME Boxes page, but in the GNOME Boxes usage.
Here is basically how CentOS is displayed Today:
- https://fidencio.fedorapeople.org/centos/boxes_master.png

And these are the screenshots of what we would like to have:
- https://fidencio.fedorapeople.org/centos/boxes_iso_centos_patch.png
- https://fidencio.fedorapeople.org/centos/boxes_download_centos_patch.png

> I'm looking at https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Boxes but am not sure how it
> would appear.  Am I correct that the logo would appear when running the
> GNOME Boxes application inside of a GNOME session?  If yes, is there
> also a corresponding use on the website?  A mock-up from there would be
> useful as well.

It's just going to be used by GNOME Boxes application, which can be run
inside a GNOME (or any other Desktop Environment) session. Hopefully the
links provided above are enough to show what we want to have.

> Knowing that this has been missed for a few months, I'll work through
> the discussions on our side to expedite a decision for you.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Karsten
> --
> Karsten Wade | Community Architect | @quaid
> Red Hat Open Source and Standards (OSAS) : @redhatopen
> https://community.redhat.com | https://next.redhat.com | https://osci.io
> gpg: AD0E0C41 | https://red.ht/sig

Also, would be really nice if we could either have an authorization to use
the logo in the following format:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-boxes-logos/blob/master/README ... or
have the provided logo under
https://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Brand/Logo#head-68f8a695d8fea47d6705a7b7010f54641b2f1892
(which makes clear enough that we're authorized to use it).

Thanks a lot for having this thread moving!

Best Regards,
--
Fabiano Fidêncio