[CentOS-devel] HPC Sig

Peter Kjellström

cap at nsc.liu.se
Thu Sep 6 13:13:53 UTC 2018

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 23:45:17 +0200
Adrian Reber <adrian at lisas.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 04, 2018 at 11:41:32AM -0700, Paul Graydon wrote:
> > There was some email conversation on this list a couple of weeks ago
> > about the HPC SIG, but it didn't really seem to go anywhere or have
> > any solid conclusion, other than "join #centos-devel".  Between some
> > freenode instability/spam protections etc. some issues with my usual
> > persistent session, and just sheer quantity of conversation
> > happening there, it's somewhat hard to figure out where anything
> > sits.  I didn't see any obvious signs of further conversation
> > there, but there's a good chance I missed it.  If there was further
> > conversation and someone would be able to point me towards it off
> > list, I'd love to read it.
>
> As far as I am aware, I am the only 'active' person in the HPC SIG and
> have not seen any further HPC discussions.
>
> > As a cloud provider that provides high spec bare metal servers to
> > customers, we're finding a lot of usage and interest from customers
> > with various forms of HPC workloads, everything from GROMACs to
> > Hadoop and beyond.  CentOS, likewise, continues to be a popular
> > distribution for our customers, across every hardware and virtual
> > machine specification. If there's ideas on how to make HPC better
> > on CentOS, I'd love to be part of the conversation, and see if
> > there are opportunities to help.
>
> Right now I still think that OpenHPC is a very good starting point to
> collaborate on HPC packages for CentOS. Especially if you are
> interested in bringing in additional packages like GROMACs.

I think application level packages (or the more general scientific
software building and providing question) is better addressed by
something like easybuild or spack.

It makes more sense to me that hpc-sig and/or OpenHPC works with more
system near components (file system support, batch systems, module
systems, node cloning / provisioning, ...).

/Peter