[CentOS-devel] Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors 2019-11-13 Meeting

Karsten Wade

kwade at redhat.com
Fri Dec 13 21:56:36 UTC 2019

On 12/13/19 2:14 PM, Tim Bell wrote:
> One possible option for the future would be to provide observer status for the board meetings. This would allow interested parties to listen in and follow the activities. My experience of open source project board meetings is that this also helps for those who might be interested to get involved in project governance to understand the discussions (and in some cases determine there are other areas they would prefer to devote their efforts:-)

Hi Tim

As it happens, Rich Bowen and I have been talking through an idea for
something like an advisory council that would be involved in discussions
during a portion of a Board meeting, for much the similar purpose you
describe. This is an idea that has come up a few times from various
Directors over the last several years.

The item didn't make it on the Dec agenda because we're still working up
the proposal; I think Jan is likely. My plan is to put out the proposal
here prior to the meeting to get some initial feedback on how it's
structured and would begin.

My personal thinking is to follow the iterative opening-up method --
start with an invited group of people in a closed but public
agenda/minutes session; do that for a period of time such as 6 months;
then see when we might transition to adding more ways to observe in real
time or via recording.

This is all about balancing the needs of the various stakeholders, which
range from small to large end users, upstream projects dependent on
CentOS in various ways, Red Hat engineering and product groups that work
upstream and downstream from CentOS, the various SIGs, ISVs, IHVs, and
all their network of relationships, and so forth. Out of simplicity and
an abundance of caution we got this  started on a private-only track 6
years ago, and deeply appreciate the patience of folks as we untangle
old and present needs into better leadership.

Best,

- Karsten

--
Karsten Wade [he/him/his]| Senior Community Architect | @quaid