[CentOS-devel] Facing issue while Contributing code to existing Git repos

Troy Dawson

tdawson at redhat.com
Wed Feb 13 18:08:13 UTC 2019

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 9:50 AM Amarjeet Singh <amarjeetxc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> I am trying to contribute to the existing Git repos.
>
> I have followed the process from the below link
>
> https://wiki.centos.org/Sources
>
> [user at host]$ git clone  https://git.centos.org/git/rpms/kernel.git
> cd kernel
> # let's work on the centos7 kernel
> [user at host]$ git checkout c7
> [user at host]$ ~/bin/get_sources.sh
> # switch to the local tree to edit
> [user at host]$ git checkout -b my-kernel
> # make edits to SPEC file, etc
> [user at host]$ git commit -m 'my local change' -a
>

> This command    ~/bin/get_sources.sh  has downloaded the xxxx.tar.gz file in the SOURCES directory.
>
> Now I have extracted the tar file and did the changes.
>
> At this stage If I commit then I have to include all the extracted files.
>
> If I run git format-patch c7  it generate the file which includes all the files.
>
> Please  guide me how to contribute  to the existing GIT REPOS.

According to the page you have linked above
"You should now have files in the working directory named as
0001-<commit>.patch and 0002-<commit>.patch etc; These files should be
emailed to the centos-devel list as attachments ( ie, not inline in
the email body ). Include information about what change you are
requesting and if needed include information on bugs.centos.org that
points to the list archive page that has your email from
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel."

I've never done that, so beyond that, hopefully someone else can explain.

Troy