[CentOS-devel] Adding to the PPC arch group

James O'Connor

jpoc at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jan 22 21:52:19 UTC 2019

Hi Philip,

Cross building is a bit of an interesting topic in these parts. The CentOS 7 32-bit armhfp architecture is compiled natively. That said I don’t want to discourage anyone from contributing to nor expanding the CentOS ecosystem.

I was out on vacation for a few days and missed your #centos-ppc irc inquiries but happy to continue the conversation there or here. I think we need a bit more embedded powerpc interest before a separate powerpc mailing list is warranted.

The few times I have created a cross compiler toolchain, I’ve used cross linux from scratch http://clfs.org/view/CLFS-3.0.0-SYSTEMD/ You mentioned crosstool-ng and I haven’t had a chance to explore that yet.

As I mentioned previously, you could leverage the existing CentOS 7 32-bit ppc rpms on buildlogs.centos.org in a bootstrap repository. Although they are optimized for POWER7 processors, they would satisfy rpm buildrequires and requires as you built fresh ppc rpms targeting an ev500v2 or 85xxDP platform.

CentOS uses mock to build rpms and mock may not have built-in cross build logic https://github.com/CentOS/sig-core-bld-seven/tree/master/mock

-James