[CentOS-devel] CentOS will support openssl 1.1.1 in future version of CentOS

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 13:02:16 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 2:14 AM Trevor Hemsley via CentOS-devel
<centos-devel at centos.org> wrote:

> On 29/01/2019 04:54, Maheshwari, Shagun wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> There is a plan from CentOS to support OpenSSL 1.1.1 in future versions of CentOS 7 because openssl community has OpenSSL 1.1.1 which was released in Sep 2018 and it has fixed for many vulnerabilities.
>
> And CentOS has 1.0.2k version.
>

> Can you please update on this?
>

> There is no plan as CentOS is not the place that decides these things. CentOS is a rebuild of RHEL and rebuilds and ships those things that make up RHEL. It doesn't go off and unilaterally decide to upgrade a core component of the operating system just because it's new and shiny.
>
> If you want it in CentOS then it has to go into RHEL first.
>
> Trevor

It could go in EPEL or upstresm in RHEL's "Software Collections
Library". But that would be a parallel build, available for alternate
compilation, not an in-place replacement. An in-place replacement
would be *hard*, and would probably be better slated for RHEL 8. I've
not heard any progress on that since the beta in November: My guess,
as RHEL and thus CentOS has gotten larger and IBM bought Red Hat, is
not to hope for RHEL 8 before June.