[CentOS-devel] Community build services and EPEL8

Brian Stinson brian at bstinson.com
Thu Jul 11 14:43:07 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019, at 08:38, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 09:25, Pat Riehecky <riehecky at fnal.gov> wrote:
>>

>> On 7/10/19 4:09 PM, Thomas Oulevey wrote:
>>  > Hi Stephen,
>>  >
>>  > Thanks for your questions.
>>  >
>>  > Inline my feedback.
>>  >
>>  > On 10.07.19 22:57, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>>  >>
>>  >> 1. What are the policies that EPEL would need to change?
>>  >
>>  > EPEL is shipping only latest build in their repo. We can't build
>>  > against older packages. Another issue is that koji doesn't allow that
>>  > either. The intermediate repo metadata only contains latest builds and
>>  > it is not configurable as far as I remember.
>>  >
>>  >> 2. What are the parts of EPEL that are a moving target compared to
>>  >> the continuous release method of CentOS?
>>  >
>>  > We can build packages and stick to them for a whole lifecycle of a SIG
>>  > project release for both "Requires:" and "Buildrequires:".
>>  >
>>  > I am sure there are other concerns that can be discussed by the pkgs
>>  > maintainers.
>>  >

>>  Would it be possible to permit some SIGs to opt into EPEL if they desire?
>>
>>  Or to put another way:
>>
>>  The EPEL project has a Special Interest in EL packages. While this
>>  isn't a CentOS SIG, it is a Group. Existing CentOS SIGs are able to opt
>>  into depending on CentOS SIGs. Would permitting SIGs to opt into
>>  depending on EPEL be much different?
>>

> It might require us to be a CentOS SIG also (which I don't currently see a problem with) and also have a way to make those packages available to the koji in way which doesn't break builders. [AKA some sort of local mirror which allows for keeping old copies of rpms.]
>

>> Pat
>>
>>  --
>>  Pat Riehecky
>>
>>  Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
>> www.fnal.gov
>> www.scientificlinux.org

> --
> Stephen J Smoogen.

To me this isn't a "building" question, this is a "delivery" question. Currently the guidance is for the SIGs to own their dependency chain, and to ship their deliverables depending on things that are self-contained (or self-contained to CentOS-built content at least).

Currently there is a lot of EPEL rebuild activity going on to support the SIGs, and I think this is where we can make some improvements with the converged git structure. We, in general, want to make it easier to take things from Fedora/EPEL branches and convert them into CentOS branches, and that workflow would make the process of consuming EPEL packages (even with a rebuild) a lot less painful.

--Brian