[CentOS-devel] Community build services and EPEL8

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 13:25:53 UTC 2019

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 at 09:15, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 09:07:07AM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > > I disagree! The quote is "they change the versions out". If you're not
> ready
> > > for the version to be changed, coordinate with the maintainer. As I
> > > mentioned elsewhere, I hope that in the future with EPEL 8 with
> modularity
> > > enabled, you'd even have the option of having the old version
> available in
> > > parallel.
> > Keeping old versions around is more of a Bodhi problem. If it had an
> > option to keep old versions when it recomposed the EPEL repos, then
> > it'd be fine.
>
> It depends on _why_ there's a new version. If the new version is an API
> change and the consumer wants to keep the old line for compatibility, just
> pinning to an old release means you're not able to do bug fixes or security
> updates. If that's expected to be a long-term situation, a module would
> make
> sense then.

So I don't think that is possible without even more investment in the EPEL
infrastructure. It means our tooling and our mirrors have to keep 'dead'
modules around as much as 'dead' packages.  Yes you are pinning to an old
module but if it is no longer in the downloads or mirrors then it is just
as unavailable as if the RPM you needed for your enterprise is no longer in
the EPEL repo.

> --
> Matthew Miller
> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>