[CentOS-devel] CR repo messes ctdb package deps badly

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Sat Jul 6 18:25:53 UTC 2019

On 7/2/19 1:04 PM, lejeczek via CentOS-devel wrote:

> On 02/07/2019 15:13, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
>> On 02/07/2019 15:09, lejeczek via CentOS-devel wrote:
>>> true, but still, it being messy to such an extent (when with CR) that
>>> different archs being chained together, must be something in involved
>>> rpms deps, no?
>> CR has nothing whatsoever to do with this. You enabled fasttrack and
>> installed packages from there. Now you've disabled it and it trying to
>> install things from base/updates that require matching package versions
>> from there that do not exist. They're in fasttrack.
>>
>> CR has been empty since 7.6 was released in early December. If you're
>> seeing any mentions of it then it will be as @cr which means that that
>> was where the packages came from when you installed them. The 7.5 CR
>> content was then merged into the 7.6 base repo so that's where those
>> versions are now. CR has nothing in it.
>>
>> Trevor
> cr or no cr if this was purely a different versions issue
> then package would/should downgrade/upgrade to whichever
> version is best available.
> Thus, cr aside and question of why deps want to pull
> different arch, on a system which is purely x86_64 and ctdb
> is x86_64 too, remains.
> Even with fasttrack disabled, package & deps should get
> upgraded or disabled and which one should be determined by
> the logic of yum+spec, no?
> Maybe it still is an issue, though not related to
> CR/fasttrack but worth investigating?

Not at all.

if you put some stuff in there that is NEWER than the base repo by
enabling a new repo .. in this case, lets say fasttrack.

Then you install 4 bind packages .. and say 4 other bind packages are
left that are not installed on your system and newer than the ones in
the base repos .. then you disable the fasttrack repo.

Now with the fasttrack repo disabled, you try to install one of the
packages that you did not have.

The system can not do it .. because .. you are installing by package
name.  The package you are trying to install  .. lets say bind-devel ..
depends on other packages.  You have NEWER packages on your system ..
but the bind-devel in base requires its own version of bind .. not the
new you installed from fasttrack.

So , you would have to do one of two things .. enable fasttrack and
install the same version of bind-devel from fasttrack as you already
have bind for

... OR ...

Downgrade the bind (in this case I said you had 4 bind packages from
fasttrack .. you would need to downgrade all 4) from you have on your
system to the ones in the repos you have enabled.

If everything was named bind-*  .. you could do:

yum distro-sync bind-*

That would give you the latest bind-* packages available from you
enabled repos.

But yum will not automatically downgrade things without specific
instructions.

The bottom line is .. if you add things from repos and then disable
those repos .. you will have to enable them again if you want to add
things later.