[CentOS-devel] Community build services and EPEL8

Alfredo Moralejo Alonso

amoralej at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 09:16:11 UTC 2019

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 10:53 PM Thomas Oulevey <thomas.oulevey at cern.ch>
wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> In the planning of next Community build services, a new question came up.
>
> In the past we never allowed EPEL repositories to be used as external
> repositories for SIGs. Doing so, would allow to build against EPEL
> packages and not duplicate the work for maintainers in EPEL/SIGs.
>
> However it would mean also building against a moving target which can be
> difficult if EPEL policies are the same as today.
>
> As EPEL 8 is also in the making it would be good to hear what SIGs think
> about this specific issue.

In CloudSIG we currently are explicit about not supporting enabling EPEL
repos to deploy OpenStack. We are rebuilding the required deps in the SIG
repo when needed. The main reasons for this is that we want to stay with
specific versions of dependencies for stable releases and not following
latest builds in EPEL on every supported release. Also, rebuilding them in
CBS allows us to test any update before pushing it to the actual repos.

> Let us know !

Best regards,

Alfredo