[CentOS-devel] Community build services and EPEL8

Alfredo Moralejo Alonso

amoralej at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 13:02:26 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 1:39 PM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 05:16, Alfredo Moralejo Alonso <amoralej at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 10:53 PM Thomas Oulevey <thomas.oulevey at cern.ch>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello folks,
>>>
>>> In the planning of next Community build services, a new question came up.
>>>
>>> In the past we never allowed EPEL repositories to be used as external
>>> repositories for SIGs. Doing so, would allow to build against EPEL
>>> packages and not duplicate the work for maintainers in EPEL/SIGs.
>>>
>>> However it would mean also building against a moving target which can be
>>> difficult if EPEL policies are the same as today.
>>>
>>> As EPEL 8 is also in the making it would be good to hear what SIGs think
>>> about this specific issue.
>>>

>> In CloudSIG we currently are explicit about not supporting enabling EPEL
>> repos to deploy OpenStack. We are rebuilding the required deps in the SIG
>> repo when needed. The main reasons for this is that we want to stay with
>> specific versions of dependencies for stable releases and not following
>> latest builds in EPEL on every supported release. Also, rebuilding them in
>> CBS allows us to test any update before pushing it to the actual repos.
>>

> Those are valid reasons for doing that. There is a side effect that people
> seem to want both and then our two groups are each blamed for breaking each
> other. But that is mostly people not reading the directions and aiming a
> loaded gun at their foot.
>
> Do you use any other SIG work or is it a 'we rebuild everything we need
> and don't rely on others'? Also would it help you to rebuild or push back
> fixes if the source code you used for that was shared?

We face different scenarios:

- For content provided by other SIGs as Ceph (StorageSIG), qemu/kvm
(VirtSIG) or some monitoring (OpsTools), we consume them directly from the
SIG repos for the version we want to use.
- In some (few) cases, there are specific libraries or packages that we
need and have been built in other SIGs or by CentOS infra. In those cases
we tag them in CloudSIG tags and include in our repos.
- For dependencies which are not in other SIGs, we rebuild them in CBS
using Fedora specs (typically using epel, rawhide or recent branches). In
some cases, if we need fixes that could be useful in Fedora/EPEL we try to
push them. Note that in some cases we need specific changes to rebuild in
CBS, i.e. removing python3 subpackages, etc...