[CentOS-devel] EPEL 8

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 00:54:30 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 6:17 PM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 17:56, Leon Fauster via CentOS-devel <centos-devel at centos.org> wrote:

>> > I would expect we are having problems with a lot of things, but we will solve them one by one. We solved our problems with RHEL-7 and RHEL-6.
>> >

>> It seems that the CodeReady repository has some missing devel packages. This will make the build process harder ...
>>

> So we haven't gotten that far yet in this. The proof of concept we worked on before the release did find that what is shipped or not shipped in RHEL makes it harder.
>
> Even so. EPEL is a place where Fedora package maintainers put packages they would like to be usable in EL environments. That means not every Fedora package appears in EPEL and it also means that we do not have 1:1 package between EPEL-6 and EPEL-7 and won't with EPEL-8 as various maintainers may not wish to have a package there. So when EPEL-8 is 'open for business' not a lot of packages will be there. Hopefully it will grow over time.. or it might not. I can make no promises.

Mock, and awsclii, are the ones I wanted most. I've published two
tools I use for RHEL 8 mock building. One is the "reposync-rhel-8.sh"
script in my repository at
https://github.com/nkadel/nkadel-rsync-scripts/blob/master/reposync-rhel-8.sh.
I use that on a RHEL 8 box to create an internal RHEL 8 yum mirror on
my licensed RHEL 8 host.

On top of that, I build a local copy of mock, using my tools at
https://github.com/nkadel/nkadel-rhel-8-mockrepo . EPEL 8 is welcome
to my tools to build mock from that repo.. Building RHEL 8 or EPEL 8
packages requires setting up the  relevant "epel-8-x86_64.cfg" to use
the "best=0" setting, to avoid confusion about the "module" RPMs.