[CentOS-devel] Community build services and EPEL8

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 19:34:08 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 2:41 PM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Has modularity worked yet for any project or person? I’m aware of it on RHEL 8, but so far it’s caused me nothing but interwoven dependency hell.
>>
>> As an example, it's used to provide multiple versions of the crio-o runtime
>> in Fedora.
>>

> I think Nico is dealing with the "I have ways to install systems which predate modules.. and my ways are running into "I can't install or build X now because Y is in a module and trying to install it broke Z""

Nico is working with "mock" on RHEL or CentOS 7, 8 and Fedora 30 to
build leading edge versions of RPMs such as samba with full domain
controller features enabled, awscli and botocore, and some recent work
for awx. An OS built without modularity has no problems with packages
written for modularity but built without it. It's the dependency
chains among multiple modularity packages that wound up breaking
things.