[CentOS-devel] How altarch will be in CentOS 8?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Jun 4 15:51:19 UTC 2019

On 6/3/19 6:32 AM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> On 03/06/2019 09:38, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
>> CentOS 7 supports several architectures:
>>
>> - x86-64
>> - aarch64
>> - ppc64le
>> - armhfp
>> - i386
>> - ppc64
>> - power9
>>
>> All except 'x86-64' are stored in /altarch/7/ directory on
>> mirror.centos.org and are mirrored only by subset of mirrors.
>>
>> RHEL 8 treats aarch64, ppc64le, s390x, x86-64 as equals - package has to
>> build on each of them to get included in repositories etc.
>>
>> So the question is how CentOS 8 will be organized? Moving everything
>> into mirrors.centos.org/centos/8/ will simplify live for all of those
>> using non-x86 machines as repos will be widely mirrored and there will
>> be no need of handling centos|altarch in external projects.
>>
>> I think that /altarch/8/ may exist for armhfp, i386, etc architectures
>> which are not a part of RHEL 8.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> That's a good discussion to have indeed now , before it's released :)
> I'd say there are pros and cons now for both.
>
> If me move aarch64/ppc64le under /centos/8 , people who were used to
> previous location will still try to find it under /altarch/
>
> Also worth noting that if we move to /centos/ , more external mirrors
> will get content for those architectures that they probably weren't
> interested in (reason why altarch was a separate module, to let people
> opt-in) . That would also confuse those links :
>
> https://www.centos.org/download/mirrors/
> https://www.centos.org/download/altarch-mirrors/
>
> So, while it's clear that aarch64 and ppc64le are now "primary" arches
> (built in parallel of the x86_64 on https://koji.mbox.centos.org/koji/)
> the real question is : do we still consider those "altarch" or not :)

I would say now that armhfp will be an altarch and ppc64le and aarch64
will be under centos/

This is mainly because we will be using koji to generate all the
repositories, images and install media. Therefore, most likely it will
need to be in the same places.

The reason armhfp is different is, it is split out on its own koji build
instance because it does not have an upstream (that is RHEL-8) repo.  So
it can be in a different spot since it has no corresponding RHEL arch.

Could ppc64le and aarch64 go into altarch/  ..  sure, if we can make it
happen and if that is what we really want to do.