[CentOS-devel] Delta RPMs (drpms) for CentOS-6 and CentOS-7

Pat Riehecky riehecky at fnal.gov
Tue Jun 4 16:00:20 UTC 2019

On 6/4/19 10:25 AM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 9:18 AM Pat Riehecky <riehecky at fnal.gov
> <mailto:riehecky at fnal.gov>> wrote:
>
>     I'd love to see drpms for things like going from 7.5.1804 to
>     7.6.1810 (or the next set of versions) in theory these should only
>     need maintenance with the actual release and might help with folks
>     making the upgrade.  I can see this having a positive impact at
>     release time for folks and let people who've got old media make a
>     faster jump.
>

> I'm curious why are you in favor of drpms in that specific case? In my
> experience, if you are on a fast network and/or have a local mirror,
> drpm updates are going to be slower than regular package updates. And
> would the CR repo address whatever your concern is about point release
> updates?

My general thoughts/use case are really driving by seeing this as a
compromise proposal.  For folks who are super pro-delta this would be a
place where they are at.  For folks that are anti-delta the repos most
folks use would not have them.  The maintenance would be low as they
would be a one shot.  But the positives could be high as the updates
between 7.5 and 7.6 are a lot of packages.  This is probably the single
biggest batch of updates at a time so I think it could satisfy each side
a bit.

I think the CR repo is a slightly different creature.  If it did
continue to publish drpms, I'd want to re-use those for the final
release.  But it is targeted at folks who've been applying updates so
there might be some pressure to retain the current behavior.

Perhaps my biggest sell is if you've got a 7.5 install DVD and just use
those rpms, with the drpms for 7.6 Base OS you get to reuse the media
with a reduced download.

I'm not sure if this is a strong, weak, or purely academic scenario.
Just my initial guess at a least effort compromise.

Pat

--
Pat Riehecky

Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory