[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8 hardware enablement

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Mon Jun 17 22:32:12 UTC 2019

On 6/17/19 2:51 PM, BC wrote:
> According to https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/considerations_in_adopting_rhel_8/hardware-enablement_considerations-in-adopting-rhel-8
> a lot of hardware is no longer supported. Specifically SAS1 drivers
> are my concern. Does the CentOS team plan to include those drivers in
> a centos-extras kernel? Likewise, would anaconda's environment have
> support for them or is it expected that people will have to generate
> their own kernel and install image?

Traditionally we've solved missing driver issues with the centosplus
kernel, and we'll continue to do that with el8 as well. Additionally
we're working a bit more closely with the elrepo folks who can provide
driver update disks so that these drivers are available at install time.

DUD images in my opinion are a better solution than carrying added
drivers in multiple anaconda/install images.

--
Jim Perrin